One of the greatest revolutions in surgery is laparoscopic (Keyhole) surgery. It is also known as minimal access surgery and allows surgeons to conduct operations inside the abdominal and chest cavity using special instruments introduced inside the body through 5 to 10 mm incisions.
The advantages of this technique are:
Advanced Laparoscopic Procedures:
- Use small puncture wounds would mean less post operative pain and greater
- Comfort for the patient as opposed to conventional surgery.
- Early feeding and ambulation whereby patients are allowed to resume taking liquids and soft solids post surgery and they can also get up and move about easily.
- Shorter hospital stay as most patients are discharged 2 to 3 days after the operation.
- Tiny scars which are far more cosmetic.
- Early return to work as most patients are able to resume their normal lifestyle and work with in a week or two of surgery.
routinely performed in Metropolitan Hospital .
Cholecystectomy ( Gall bladder removal), appendicectomy,closure of duodenal ulcer performations, truncal vagotomy,Hellar’s operation for achalasia cardia,fundoplication for hiatus hernia,inguinal hernia repair,Varicocelectomy,peritoneal biopsies,adhesiolysis etc…
Total oesophagectomy for carcinoma,drainage of empyemas and loculated effusions,decortications,pleural and lungbiopsies, pericardial window etc…